sobota, 28 marca 2015


"Law student at the UN Human Rights Council"


“I’m happy I continued my studies on law faculty. It is a challenging field of study and requires courage and will to become a professional.” - Are you interested in what legal studies in Tbilisi look like? What are going to do during practice at United Nations Human Rights Council? If so, I encourage you to read an interview with Nini Mtchedishvili, who is a law student in Georgia and right now she is an exchange student at Tallinn University, where she doing her Bachelor degree.




Kinga Mierzyńska: Why did you decide to study law? In retrospect are you satisfied that you have made that decision? 

Nini Mtchedlishvili: From the very beginning it was not my decision at all. My dream was to become a journalist, but my family did not really support this idea. They suggested continuing my studies on law faculty, but I was not satisfied, thus I chose the field of law that required some of the skills that I did have – knowledge of languages, communication skills – I chose International Law. If I look through my achievement during the last three years, I’m happy I continued my studies on law faculty. It is a challenging field of study and requires courage and will to become a professional.

K.M. I'm interested in what legal studies in Tbilisi look like. Could you briefly describe the system of your studies? How long they last and what opportunities you have after completing this course? 

N.M. In general, studying Law is very prestigious in Georgia, especially at Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University. This is the biggest and the oldest university in Georgia and here law is taught by the best professors and legal practitioners of the country. Law faculty has three levels of studies: Bachelor degree that is usually completed in 4 years; Master degree that requires 2 years and PHD – lasts for 3 years. 

It should be highlighted that studying Law is quite interesting for the academically active students. There are lots of opportunities to develop yourself as a professional: Students’ Self-Government, European Law Student Association, Ministry of Justice and other governmental or non-governmental bodies encourage students to participate in various projects and conferences. Besides, there are always some internships at the courts or at the law firms. Personally I was an intern at UNHCR and I was a contract employee at the Parliament of Georgia and at the Central Election Commission of Georgia.

K.M. Which area of law particularly interest you? Would you like to expand your knowledge of a specific field of law? 

N.M. As I have mentioned above, I major in International Law but there is one particular field that I would like to study on my master degree – International Law of Human Rights. I was on my first year of studies at the University when I had a general course of Human Rights and I was really interested in that. Just a year ago I had my internship at UNHCR protection unit and this experience encouraged me to develop my knowledge in this particular field.

K.M. Could you tell me more about your practice at United Nations Human Rights Council and at the Parliament of Georgia? What were your responsibilities? Did you get, as part of this experience, new practical skills?

N.M. Becoming an intern at UNHCR was a dream that came true. It was always a life goal to work at United Nations, but honestly, I have never thought I could manage it at age 20. This was my very first working experience that covered not only administrative tasks, but translation, researching, attending conferences and interviewing process of the refugees. I have learnt many interesting fact about the Refugee law, about human rights protection process, about the cooperation between the international and governmental organizations and so on... 


K.M. How do you want to improve your career prospects and employability skills in nearly future?

N.M. Now I’m an exchange student at Tallinn University and after finishing my Bachelor degree I’m looking forward to continue my studies abroad on Master degree.

K.M. Do you remember when you joined the European Law Students’ Association ELSA Georgia? Could you tell me about the most interesting and noteworthy projects of your local group? 

N.M. I became ELSA member on my first year of studies at the University. This is the most adventurous experience, because during 2 years of membership I participated in many projects, like conferences, seminars, debates, law schools, I attended and organized fresher’s camps, NCMs and ICM Batumi. The most interesting and unforgettable ELSA experience was ICM Batumi. I met a lot of students all over the Europe, we had absolutely amazing workshops and I was in love with the cultural diversity.

K.M. In your opinion does ELSA give possibilities for you and other law students to become better lawyer and find properly job?

N.M. Personally, I think so. This is the organization that is concentrated on many different activities and gives the students opportunities to improve all the skills. Those who want to get more practical experience should definitely send their applications for STEP.

K.M. How would you encourage the students from Poznan to take part in Erasmus in ELSA Georgia?


N.M. First of all, I’m sending warm greetings to everybody! Secondly, if you want to explore Georgia, to get the really different cultural and educational experience I would like to suggest you to visit the most hospitable country. I suggest ELSA Poznan to have a study visit in Tbilisi, so the students will get brief information about ELSA Georgia and my University. Just right after it I believe the students from Poznan will definitely continue their studies in Georgia. Dear Students, this is a life time experience that you should not miss!

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz